Sunday 26 August 2012

Suspicion - .

We tend to suspect about many things and  about people and their motives. So, I decided to see and learn more about suspecion and it's effects and I came up with many quotes and among them I thought the following appealed to me and I have tried to collate them to bring out what does suspecion means and it's effects. I have not shown the author at the end of each quote, instead I have given credits at the end of this article so as to keep the continuity of the dialogue I this article. Here it is:

I began with the first quote:
"Suspicion is a mental picture seen through an imaginary keyhole." 

I felt this quote very aptly tells what suspecion means. Actually seeing though the key hole, one can see a limited space of what exists behind that key hole. Thus, you get a partial picture through seeing through a key hole. Therefore, in suspicion the judgement is fragmented because of the partial picture one sees to arrive at his/her conclusion.

The next quote tells us that the suspecision is detrimental as it disturbs our peace of mind and therefore eminently avoidable:

"Suspicion is far more apt to be wrong than right; oftener unjust than just.  It is no friend to virtue, and always an enemy to happiness." 

So, I asked myself, with such deadly side effects should I even remotely think  of suspecting anything or anyone?! I told my self Naah!

The next quote so aptly states the futility of suspicion:
"Suspicion is very often a useless pain." 

If knowing well that suspicion cases pain, one still prefers to suspect,  then it is nothing short of a condition known as neurotic paradox - which means the person knows fully well that something is not be done because it causes pain but cannot help but doing it! I said let me be aware of this paradox and avoid suspecting!

Then the next quote gave a caution:
"Suspicion is ever strong on the suffering side." 

So, if you are the suffering  party, please avoid suspicion because the suffering mind looks for evidence to suspect and inevitably through the imaginary key hole comes up with something to convince you to suspect! I felt this should be a guiding principle to keep in mind when I am the suffering party.. Bleep bleep!


The next two quote  quotes made it clear that, suspicion becomes an impediment to acquire wisdom and takes away your chance to be wise.
"Suspicion is a great enemy to wisdom." 
"Ignorance is the mother of suspicion."  

So, I thought ignorance in itself is the enemy of wisdom and if ignorance is the mother of suspicion, it is better to keep it as far away as possible.

Then the last quote I thought gave a piece of sensible advise 

"There is nothing that makes a man suspect much, more than to know little; and, therefore, men should remedy suspicion by procuring to know more, and not to keep their suspicions to smother." 

Then I thought in order to overcome suspicion I should endeavor to know more.. and the most beautiful part of knowing more and striving to procure more will lead to  wisdom, which will as a natural consequence vanquish suspicion.

So, avoid suspicion like plague until you know more!! And the catch is when you know more you are wise and suspicion simply disappears!

* *Credits :
unknown.
Francis Bacon, Sr.
Hosea
Samuel Johnson
Publilius Syrus
Thomas Fuller
William R. Alger

No comments:

Post a Comment